Reverse Number Lookup
tommyruff
2007-05-15 12:55:12 UTC
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
Richard Kelly
2007-05-16 11:46:40 UTC
Post by tommyruff
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
I have a database circa November 2005. 477 meg for the CSV file. I
downloaded it a year ago from Mininova or similar. Torrent might still be
around somewhere. Or if you email me, I might post it online and send you a
link (not going to post it here though). Or tell me what you want to look up
and I will give you the results.
Highlandish
2007-05-16 11:54:55 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
I have a database circa November 2005. 477 meg for the CSV file. I
downloaded it a year ago from Mininova or similar. Torrent might
still be around somewhere. Or if you email me, I might post it online
and send you a link (not going to post it here though). Or tell me
what you want to look up and I will give you the results.
i dont suppose you have created an SQL query page for that database that you
could share?
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

I've got a Mickey Mouse PC with a Goofy operating system
Richard Kelly
2007-05-16 12:20:07 UTC
Post by Highlandish
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
I have a database circa November 2005. 477 meg for the CSV file. I
downloaded it a year ago from Mininova or similar. Torrent might
still be around somewhere. Or if you email me, I might post it online
and send you a link (not going to post it here though). Or tell me
what you want to look up and I will give you the results.
i dont suppose you have created an SQL query page for that database that
you could share?
Well, I tried. The problems are:

1. When importing the file into MySQL, I get all sorts of errors for no
reason (which I put down to the file being too large, as I was able to
import the first few thousand lines no problems if I put them in their own
file). I could easily do it by splitting the file into lots of smaller
files, but it would be a whole lot easier if someone has a program to split
a text file based on a certain number of lines (eg the text file has
6,000,000ish lines, so if I had a program that could split it into 600 files
with 10,000 lines in each file, that would be sweet). I looked around but
file splitters that can split based on lines (as opposed to number of bytes,
which would break lines) all seem to be commercial (ie not free). I don't
feel like copying and pasting 10,000 lines at a time into separate files,
and I don't feel like paying for software (who does???)

2. Failing in MySQL, I turned to Access (yuk). I was able to import the file
(eventually) but the database blew out to 1.07 gig (for no good reason). Of
course, now I can query it, but I haven't written an interface (because I
would rather spend my time writing one for MySQL in PHP - but see problem
1...)

If you can help me with a free file splitter, I can do the rest easily.
Highlandish
2007-05-16 12:37:35 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Highlandish
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
[...]
i only have splittrs based on bytes too. i can program for sql but it would
take me ages, too long for the reward anyway. so i have sat on the DB (with
the patches and updates that fixed the errors) but i havent bothered to do a
thing with it.
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

A pat on the back is only a few centimetres from a kick in the butt.
yeltz
2007-05-17 04:19:22 UTC
Post by Highlandish
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Highlandish
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
[...]
Find somebody who can code in Perl. A simple Perl program can do what
you're after.
Richard Kelly
I can write a file splitter but I'm a lazy, lazy man. :-)
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-21 05:43:30 UTC
I wonder if it's possible to "reverse engineer" DTMS's product
(Phonedisc) and get it to compile/read the csv phonelists.

I tried to make some sort of database out of that file, but various
progs that I tried all barfed at it.

Damn Telstra/Sensise for putting DTMS out of business. The Phonedisc was
the most useful and handy application that I've ever used on a computer.

In fact, in my view it's the first app to truly make a computer useful.
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." - GW Bush
Peter Dingleberry
2007-05-21 14:19:47 UTC
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
I wonder if it's possible to "reverse engineer" DTMS's product
(Phonedisc) and get it to compile/read the csv phonelists.
I tried to make some sort of database out of that file, but various
progs that I tried all barfed at it.
I put the 2 files into an Access database - not ideal, but it was able to
handle the filesize. I used make-table queries and the export/import
function to sub-divide it into a separate database for each state, (the
appropriate one of) which I use for most queries.

Are there better ways to do it? - yep, but this was one within my
capabilities, and it works.......
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Damn Telstra/Sensise for putting DTMS out of business. The Phonedisc was
the most useful and handy application that I've ever used on a computer.
It certainly had some good search facilities - and the searches were
reasonably fast.....
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-21 23:57:18 UTC
Peter Dingleberry said...
Post by Peter Dingleberry
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Damn Telstra/Sensise for putting DTMS out of business. The Phonedisc
was the most useful and handy application that I've ever used on a
computer.
It certainly had some good search facilities - and the searches were
reasonably fast.....
Reasonably? It was lightning, particularly compared to the Yellow/White
Pages websites. Rather, it still IS lightning. I'm still running it on
my PC. For the most part it should remain reasonably current. Most
people and businesses don't change their numbers that often. Obvious it
won't list anything new since around early '04, but for that I'll resort
to using the Telstra site.

Now if telstra would allow a full caller ID service then I could
probably dispense with the reverse number feature that PD offers.
It's not hard to meet expenses, they are everywhere.
jherth
2007-05-22 12:24:16 UTC
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Peter Dingleberry said...
Rod Speed
2007-05-22 19:38:06 UTC
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Nope.
Post by jherth
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Peter Dingleberry said...
atec 77
2007-05-22 22:18:42 UTC
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Post by jherth
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Peter Dingleberry said...
Rod Speed
2007-05-23 01:47:51 UTC
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Peter Dingleberry said...
Rob
2007-05-23 06:08:51 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
Have noticed that phone calls coming through from other carriers, now
have "Private" in the caller ID, where as this was coming through to
Telstra subscribers.

There is something else Telstra have snuck in, when the number you have
called, Telstra answer the call, with a message saying its unanswered.
This costs the other party, call costs. You can't tell if this is
happening until someone else lets you know.
Malcolm Taylor
2007-05-23 07:12:44 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
There is something else Telstra have snuck in, when the number you have
called, Telstra answer the call, with a message saying its unanswered.
This costs the other party, call costs. You can't tell if this is
happening until someone else lets you know.
Is this only when the called party is on another call and does not pick up
on call waiting notification within a certain time?
Rob
2007-05-23 11:59:49 UTC
Post by Malcolm Taylor
Post by Rob
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
There is something else Telstra have snuck in, when the number you have
called, Telstra answer the call, with a message saying its unanswered.
This costs the other party, call costs. You can't tell if this is
happening until someone else lets you know.
Is this only when the called party is on another call and does not pick up
on call waiting notification within a certain time?
This could be the case as well, and you have to get Telstra to remove
THERE option. Its not something the consumer can remove as far as I've
been informed.
steam3801
2007-05-23 12:10:09 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Malcolm Taylor
Post by Rob
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
There is something else Telstra have snuck in, when the number you have
called, Telstra answer the call, with a message saying its unanswered.
This costs the other party, call costs. You can't tell if this is
happening until someone else lets you know.
Is this only when the called party is on another call and does not pick up
on call waiting notification within a certain time?
This could be the case as well, and you have to get Telstra to remove
THERE option. Its not something the consumer can remove as far as I've
been informed.
Telstra message bank users have *FULL* control over the period before
the Telstra message bank service takes up an unanswered call - it can
be set between 5 and 35 seconds
--
steam3801
God hates homos .... but he likes tabouli.
Malcolm Taylor
2007-05-23 12:54:01 UTC
Post by steam3801
Post by Rob
Post by Malcolm Taylor
Post by Rob
There is something else Telstra have snuck in, when the number you have
called, Telstra answer the call, with a message saying its unanswered.
This costs the other party, call costs. You can't tell if this is
happening until someone else lets you know.
Is this only when the called party is on another call and does not pick up
on call waiting notification within a certain time?
This could be the case as well, and you have to get Telstra to remove
THERE option. Its not something the consumer can remove as far as I've
been informed.
Telstra message bank users have *FULL* control over the period before
the Telstra message bank service takes up an unanswered call - it can
be set between 5 and 35 seconds
--
So you reckon Rob was talking about MessageBank / Home Messages 101? I did
hear somewhere that people were complaining that Telstra had given them 101
configurable up to 60 sec (using *9960#).
Rob
2007-05-24 02:18:41 UTC
Post by steam3801
Post by Rob
Post by Malcolm Taylor
Post by Rob
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
[...]
But why have they activated the service without consumer knowledge of it
being present on there service --- $$$$$$$.
Rod Speed
Nar, just the usual telstra terminal stupidity.
Rod Speed
2007-05-23 21:08:50 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
Have noticed that phone calls coming through from other carriers, now have "Private" in the caller
ID, where as this was coming through to Telstra subscribers.
Dont get that here. Optarse did have the Caller ID suppressed by default,
but you could turn it on if you want to. That was done because the law required
considerable expenditure on advertising to warn the users about Caller ID before
it could be enabled by default and Optarse chose not to do that advertising.
Sounds like some stuffup rather than a policy change.
steam3801
2007-05-23 22:01:18 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
Have noticed that phone calls coming through from other carriers, now
have "Private" in the caller ID, where as this was coming through to
Telstra subscribers.
There is something else Telstra have snuck in, when the number you have
called, Telstra answer the call, with a message saying its unanswered.
This costs the other party, call costs. You can't tell if this is
happening until someone else lets you know.
Nothing new - callers option whether to hide or reveal caller number.
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-28 12:20:35 UTC
Rob said....
Post by Rob
Have noticed that phone calls coming through from other carriers, now
have "Private" in the caller ID, where as this was coming through to
Telstra subscribers.
No, I haven't noticed it. Sister's on Optus. Her caller ID comes up.
Daughter is using iPrimus VOIP with her own VOIP number. It too is
displayed.

Only "Private Numbers" seem to be either businesses such as call centres
calling us (hawkers) or similar.
If history repeats itself, I think we can expect the same thing again
Jerry Kraus
2007-05-23 14:23:50 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Peter Dingleberry said...
Post by Peter Dingleberry
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Damn Telstra/Sensise for putting DTMS out of business. The
Phonedisc was the most useful and handy application that I've
ever used on a computer.
It certainly had some good search facilities - and the searches
were reasonably fast.....
Reasonably? It was lightning, particularly compared to the
Yellow/White Pages websites. Rather, it still IS lightning. I'm
still running it on my PC. For the most part it should remain
reasonably current. Most people and businesses don't change their
numbers that often. Obvious it won't list anything new since around
early '04, but for that I'll resort to using the Telstra site.
Now if telstra would allow a full caller ID service then I could
probably dispense with the reverse number feature that PD offers.
--
It's not hard to meet expenses, they are everywhere.- Hide quoted text -
How's it going Rod? Making good money?
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-22 23:01:54 UTC
jherth said...
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Why? What would be the reason for making them illegal?
"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country." - GW Bush
Highlandish
2007-05-23 08:36:14 UTC
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Why? What would be the reason for making them illegal?
originally there was an argument that it was against the listed peoples
right to privacy, but I think that was debunked.
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

In God we trust; all others pay cash
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-23 22:45:21 UTC
Highlandish said...
Post by Highlandish
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Why? What would be the reason for making them illegal?
originally there was an argument that it was against the listed peoples
right to privacy, but I think that was debunked.
Funny that they'd try to run that argument, given that the calling party
is invading someone else's privacy. And beyond that, you'd think that
the called party has the right to know who's calling them.

In the US, the world's litigation and personal rights capital, the
caller ID that they use display's the caller's name and location, as
well as the number.

Maybe Telstra's just being a prick - doesn't want to go to the trouble
of fulling implementing the service, perhaps. Who knows...
"The internet is a great way to get on the net." - Bob Dole
Highlandish
2007-05-24 09:42:40 UTC
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Highlandish said...
Post by Highlandish
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Why? What would be the reason for making them illegal?
originally there was an argument that it was against the listed
peoples right to privacy, but I think that was debunked.
Funny that they'd try to run that argument, given that the calling
party is invading someone else's privacy. And beyond that, you'd
think that the called party has the right to know who's calling them.
In the US, the world's litigation and personal rights capital, the
caller ID that they use display's the caller's name and location, as
well as the number.
Maybe Telstra's just being a prick - doesn't want to go to the trouble
of fulling implementing the service, perhaps. Who knows...
the caller will leave their caller-id with the recipient, but could still
remain anonymous if they choose, reverse number lookup takes that
expectation of privacy away and that's where the problem lies.
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it
too slowly.
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-29 10:44:47 UTC
Highlandish said....
Post by Highlandish
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Maybe Telstra's just being a prick - doesn't want to go to the trouble
of fulling implementing the service, perhaps. Who knows...
the caller will leave their caller-id with the recipient, but could
still remain anonymous if they choose, reverse number lookup takes that
expectation of privacy away and that's where the problem lies.
Can't see why there'd be a problem at all. You call someone, they have
the right to know who's calling them.

"Privacy" works both ways. After all, the caller's invading the other
party's privacy. In spades with telemarketers who call you at dinner
time.
Silly headline - Lawyer says client is not that guilty
Highlandish
2007-05-29 11:07:52 UTC
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Highlandish said....
Post by Highlandish
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Maybe Telstra's just being a prick - doesn't want to go to the
trouble of fulling implementing the service, perhaps. Who knows...
the caller will leave their caller-id with the recipient, but could
still remain anonymous if they choose, reverse number lookup takes
that expectation of privacy away and that's where the problem lies.
Can't see why there'd be a problem at all. You call someone, they have
the right to know who's calling them.
"Privacy" works both ways. After all, the caller's invading the other
party's privacy. In spades with telemarketers who call you at dinner
time.
if I speak to an acquaintance over the phone or via sms, I expect they don't
look me up and find all my personal details, they should politely ask for my
address when it is appropriate to know. a level of trust has to be
established before I let someone know where I am most vulnerable.

as for businesses, I have no problem having full access to their entire
public presence at my fingertips, especially telemarketing companies.
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?
jherth
2007-05-23 09:35:58 UTC
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Why? What would be the reason for making them illegal?
Because they allow people to determine an address from a phone number which
could be seen as a breach of privacy.

People should be allowed to divulge phone numbers to be people without the
risk of their residential address being revealed in the process.
steam3801
2007-05-23 12:15:07 UTC
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
Why? What would be the reason for making them illegal?
Reverse lookup, per se, was/is not in itself illegal. It had nothing
to do with privacy - the details availble through reverse loookup were
publicly available in phone books. Telstra tried to stop it through
the courts and lost badly

Then they came in the back door. Sensis (Telstra) own the rights to
the telephone directory(s), irrespective of your telco carrier.
Reverse number lookup relied on scanning the phone books, listing and
re-sorting the entries. Telstra claimed infrigement od copyright, won,
hence the end of (official) reverse lookup.
jherth
2007-05-23 13:14:17 UTC
You can be assured that that, copyright aside, if reverse-lookup became
prevalent in the non-business market then privacy laws would be enacted to
eradicate it. While it makes sense for businesses to find out the mailing
address of, say, bad debtors etc., private use is completely unecessary and
would be abused by cooks trying to harrass people.
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Phil Allison
2007-05-23 13:38:06 UTC
"jherth" = " jerk off top posting fuckwit "
Post by jherth
You can be assured that that, copyright aside, if reverse-lookup became
prevalent in the non-business market then privacy laws would be enacted to
eradicate it. While it makes sense for businesses to find out the mailing
address of, say, bad debtors etc., private use is completely unecessary
and would be abused by cooks trying to harrass people.
** LOL !!!!!

Like when YOU write your nick & number on the back of a dunny door
advertising for anal sex

- what a bloody HOOT !!!!!!!!

BTW:

Even the ultra paranoid Germans allow reverse look up by number alone, on
the net, by anyone.

http://www.dastelefonbuch.de/

...... Phil
atec 77
2007-05-23 19:50:43 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
** LOL !!!!!
Like when YOU write your nick & number on the back of a dunny door
advertising for anal sex
Somthing philthy is very familiar with
...... Phil
Rod Speed
2007-05-23 21:14:13 UTC
You can be assured that that, copyright aside, if reverse-lookup became prevalent in the
non-business market then privacy laws would be enacted to eradicate it.
Wrong when you can look up the residential address in the phone book etc.
While it makes sense for businesses to find out the mailing address of, say, bad debtors etc.,
private use is completely unecessary
Wrong again, its the obvious way to work out if its the correct
entry in the phone book with relatively common names.
and would be abused by cooks trying to harrass people.
Fantasy.

You're always welcome to have an unlisted number if you want one,
and to have one that doesnt list your street address too if you want that.
Post by steam3801
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
steam3801
2007-05-23 21:55:04 UTC
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
What a stupid statement! How can privacy be affected if the
information is *ALREADY* openly, publicly available, albeit in a
different form. Whether it's numerical instead of alphabetical doesn't
make it any more or any less "private".
steam3801
2007-05-23 21:57:02 UTC
On Thu, 24 May 2007 07:55:04 +1000, steam3801
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
And in any case, marketing organisations are already using their own
created "reverse" lookup directories - they just can't publish them on
the open market.
Kwyjibo
2007-05-24 04:50:43 UTC
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
Yes they can.
Kwyj.
Jeßus
2007-05-27 09:41:20 UTC
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
Tell that to the White Pages people, and to the publishers of DTMS
Phonedisc.
Kwyjibo
2007-05-27 11:29:02 UTC
Post by Jeßus
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
DTMS used the White Pages data - not their own data.
If I collect the information via annother means that is not derived from the
White Pages, they have no valid copyright claim.
Kwyj.
jherth
2007-05-24 22:04:17 UTC
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
Yes it does because it allows people to determine an address from a phone
number. People should not be able to work out where you live just because
you allow them to contact you by phone.
Phil Allison

...... Phil
jherth
2007-05-25 11:21:08 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
"jherth" = " jerk off "
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
What a stupid statement! How can privacy be affected if the
information is *ALREADY* openly, publicly available, albeit in a
different form. Whether it's numerical instead of alphabetical doesn't
make it any more or any less "private".
Yes it does because it allows people to determine an address from a phone
number. People should not be able to work out where you live just
because you allow them to contact you by phone.
** LOL !!!!!
Like when YOU write your nick & number on the back of a dunny door
advertising for anal sex ...
So what if I do that? How did you find that out anyway?
Post by Phil Allison
- what a bloody HOOT !!!!!!!!
...... Phil
atec 77
2007-05-24 22:15:49 UTC
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
Exactly the same as the phone book ?
perhaps you want to stop production of that as well ?
Highlandish
2007-05-25 07:23:11 UTC
Quoth The Raven; atec 77" <""atec7 7 \"@ hotmail dot com <""atec7 7 \"@
hotmail dot com"> in
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
lol, I dare you to find a specified phone number and address in the white
pages with no name to start with.
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

General Brain Failure ! (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore, (O)h
jherth
2007-05-25 11:19:54 UTC
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
How can anyone work out where I live from my phone number by going through a
phonebook?
atec 7 7
It's a lot easier than you realise .
jherth
Expain.
atec 7 7
Expain.
Nah . not in this forum .
Pfft. Coz there ain't a way.
atec 7 7
Pfft. Coz there ain't a way.
if you have access to the big data base it's very possible .
A data base isn't the same thing as a phonebook!
Richard Kelly
2007-05-25 15:42:57 UTC
Post by
Post by atec 7 7
Post by
Post by atec 7 7
Post by jherth
Post by atec 7 7
Post by jherth
How can anyone work out where I live from my phone number by going
through a phonebook?
It's a lot easier than you realise .
Expain.
Nah . not in this forum .
Pfft. Coz there ain't a way.
if you have access to the big data base it's very possible .
A data base isn't the same thing as a phonebook!
Jeez I come here after trying to explain the goat-car problem to you on
aus.tv/sci.math (which you still don't seem to grasp) and here you are again
failing to comprehend something so simple.

1. The phonebook *is* a database, whether it's printed, on CD or online.

2. The phonebook contains all the information you need to be able to find
someone's address when you know their phone number (assuming they are
listed). Give me your phone number and the phonebook your phone number is
listed in, and I will find your address by simply starting from the first
entry and working my way through until I spot your phone number. It might
take me a long time, but that is hardly the point. If I was really keen, I
could type all the entries (or scan and use OCR) into my own electronic
database and then use a query to get your address knowing your phone number.
The information is all there - it is not private.

3. Can you tie your own shoelaces yet?
atec 7 7
You are too too kind
jherth
2007-05-25 22:20:25 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by
Post by atec 7 7
Post by
Post by atec 7 7
Post by jherth
Post by atec 7 7
Post by jherth
[...]
This is precisely the point. We are dealing with reality here. Just like
the goat-car problem. You need to be more critical about theory.

If I was really keen, I
Richard Kelly
2007-05-26 02:27:52 UTC
Post by jherth
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by
Post by atec 7 7
Post by
Post by atec 7 7
Post by jherth
Post by atec 7 7
Post by jherth
[...]
Are you suggesting that in real life, it would be impossible for me to find
your address knowing your phone number if all of the information is listed
in the phonebook? How hard I have to work to get the answer is irrelevant -
if I am dedicated enough and really want to find your address, it can be
done. Perhaps I could pay 4 cents an hour to 1000 Indians to do the job for
me? Like, say, a telemarketing company?
2007-05-26 09:44:42 UTC
Wrong. A phonebook is a book. A database is an electronic file.
Peter Dingleberry
2007-05-26 10:13:17 UTC
Post by
Post by Richard Kelly
1. The phonebook *is* a database, whether it's printed, on CD or online.
Wrong. A phonebook is a book. A database is an electronic file.
Wrong - a database is a collection of information, that can be stored and
retrieved. A box of cards in a cardfile makes a pretty good database.
atec 7 7
2007-05-26 10:51:45 UTC
Post by
Oh dear , get a clue thanks .
Richard Kelly
2007-05-26 12:20:50 UTC
Post by
Classic. Any other pearls of wisdom?
atec 7 7
2007-05-26 12:53:54 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by
Pearls >swine >(sic)
Jeßus
Well, kill him or her.
Jeßus
2007-05-27 09:42:49 UTC
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
Post by jherth
Post by steam3801
On Wed, 23 May 2007 09:01:54 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
jherth said...
Post by jherth
[...]
Oh dear.

What should and shouldnt be possible is totally irrelevent to what can
and is done every day.
Jeßus
2007-05-27 09:39:39 UTC
Post by jherth
You can be assured that that, copyright aside, if reverse-lookup became
prevalent in the non-business market then privacy laws would be enacted to
eradicate it. While it makes sense for businesses to find out the mailing
address of, say, bad debtors etc., private use is completely unecessary and
would be abused by cooks trying to harrass people.
LOL... wheras 'business' people are paragons of ethical decency, right?

Jesus...

Incidentally, anyone could buy DTMS whilst it was still available.
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-24 05:23:38 UTC
steam3801 said...
Post by steam3801
Then they came in the back door. Sensis (Telstra) own the rights to
the telephone directory(s), irrespective of your telco carrier.
Reverse number lookup relied on scanning the phone books, listing and
re-sorting the entries. Telstra claimed infrigement od copyright, won,
hence the end of (official) reverse lookup.
And shortly after DTMS, the last of the still operating 3rd party phone
disc vendors folded, Sensis announced that it would be discontinuing its
Whitepages on disc product.

Now, the web version wouldn't so bad if the search functions allowed
wildcards, allowed you to search by town and thus display a list of
entries, say sorted by street or whatever, and a rev. no. lookup.

Thing is, I was looking for a particular business the other day. It
listed heaps that aren't in the area but which "could" service it (some
of them didn't when I called them). And when I removed that option it
showed me an abbreviated list, but some businesses that I knew existed
weren't listed. I found them but under a different search.

Phonedisc, despite its age, showed them almost immediately.

I'm sure that Telstra has monkeys, probably sourced from the jungles of
Java Island, that code its websites, whether they be the Bigpond one,
the main Telstra one, AFL or V8 touring car websites.
I must confess, I was born at a very early age. - Groucho Marx
Fred
2007-05-24 12:05:40 UTC
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
steam3801 said...
Post by steam3801
[...]
You may not be aware that Sensis has changed the way search works on White
Pages online.
The focus has moved away from supplying the searcher with appropriate
results for their needs.
Rather Sensis have worked out ways that they can make more money from their
products.
These days businesses have to pay to be top of the search results and their
payment includes search words.
Pay extra and you can be at the top of search for numerous postcode areas.
Peelah Ben Arhna
2007-05-24 23:50:37 UTC
Fred said...
Post by Fred
You may not be aware that Sensis has changed the way search works on
White Pages online.
Well, not so much as aware of the changes, but I'm aware of what it
presently does, if not exactly why. I don't use it that much.
Post by Fred
These days businesses have to pay to be top of the search results and
their payment includes search words.
Sort of like Google and its method of propping sponsored sites in a
prominent place is the search results list.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." - Britney Spears
yeltz
2007-05-17 06:36:50 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Highlandish
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
[...]
I've just written a simple file splitter in Perl that will be able to
split your 6 million line file into smaller parts.
To run the script, download and install Perl. You can get it for free
from http://www.activeperl.com/

Here's the script: (save it into a file called: splitter.pl)

#######
open INFILE, "telephone_book.csv" or die "Couldn't open: $!";
open OUT, ">split0.csv" or die "Couldn't create: $!";
$line = 0;
$x = 1;

while(<INFILE>){

if ($line eq 10000) { #create new file every 10,000 lines
close OUT;
open OUT, ">split" .$x .".csv" or die "Couldn't create: $!";
$line = 1;
$x++;
}
print OUT $_;
$line++;

}
close INFILE;
print "finished processsing.";
#######

The script will open your telephone book CSV file (ie.
telephone_book.csv) and will split it up into 10.000 line chunks. You
can replace the "10000" with any number you want.

After you've installed Perl, go to the command line and type:
perl splitter.pl

You will then get a sequence of files called split0.csv, split1.csv,
split2.csv etc. etc.

Hope this helps!
Highlandish
2007-05-17 09:34:39 UTC
Post by yeltz
"Highlandish" <Say No To Spam> wrote in
Post by Highlandish
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
[...]
thanks heaps
--
Reply no longer functions. attention me in this group instead

"Tell me what you think, Captain, I'm all ears" - Spock
Richard Kelly
It will - thanks.
ECM
Could you let us know a little more detail on the db or torrent Please?
Richard Kelly
2007-05-16 12:13:58 UTC
Post by ECM
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
I have a database circa November 2005. 477 meg for the CSV file. I
downloaded it a year ago from Mininova or similar. Torrent might still be
around somewhere. Or if you email me, I might post it online and send you
a link (not going to post it here though). Or tell me what you want to
look up and I will give you the results.
Could you let us know a little more detail on the db or torrent Please?
I don't have the .torrent file any more. I am certain it was linked to on
this very newsgroup (maybe a year ago - can't remember).

Files are called residential.csv (477 meg) and business.csv (110 meg) plus a
readme.txt file, which contains this:

Australian Phone Directory November 2005.
Released January/February 2006.

The fields are in this order:
- Record ID*
- Name
- Shop or Unit Number
- House Number
- End House Number, in the case of shops (eg: "13","-15","South Terrace")
- Street Name
- Town, City or Suburb
- Post Code
- Phone number
- Fax number
- Mobile number
- Type of entry (B = Buisness; I = Individual)

Record ID:
- First character is the first letter of the state (NT is D)
- Second character is the type of entry (B = Business; R = Residential)
- Third character is what area it is in (C = City [metro]; O = Other
[regional])

This database is dated November 2005. The fields are separated by tabs.
There are two files, one has all business entries, the other has all
residential entries. If you want to search the database, I suggest you
import the database into SQLite, MySQL or similar. It will take up a *lot*
of space, and it will take some time to import all the data. Do not use a
traditional spreadsheet program (like Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice.org
Calc) to import the data - it will not fit.

The indexes have been removed to save space. They tripled the size of this
archive. Seeing as most people will be importing this into another database
solution to use, this shouldn't be a problem.

Private (silent) phone numbers may not be listed, but Telstra and Sensis are
hopeless, so this may not be the case!

In the residential entries, entry NRO0580940 is corrupt. The letter "J" has
been replaced with a new line character. Look for "OHNSTON: H", if you've
already imported it into a database - this contains the rest of the record.
This is due to errors in the source files.

Remember to play nice. Long live DtMS. Anyone who adds their name to this
archive, or takes credit for this file's release is a little fucktard kiddy.
They should go and do their own fucking research, go and get their own copy
of the data source, and then work on cracking the original software
themselves. If you feel the need to take the credit where it's not
deserved, then you really need to go kill yourself right now, because
honestly, it should take someone no more than a week to break. Same applies
if you feel the need to sell this.
Rod Speed
2007-05-16 19:00:49 UTC
Post by ECM
http://www.mininova.org/tor/589402

There's also an update thats dropped off now.
Richard Kelly
2007-05-17 05:22:05 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ECM
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
I have a database circa November 2005. 477 meg for the CSV file. I
downloaded it a year ago from Mininova or similar. Torrent might
still be around somewhere. Or if you email me, I might post it
online and send you a link (not going to post it here though). Or
tell me what you want to look up and I will give you the results.
Could you let us know a little more detail on the db or torrent Please?
http://www.mininova.org/tor/589402
There's also an update thats dropped off now.
Is/was the update more recent phone numbers (post November 2005) or just
fixes for the errors?
Rod Speed
2007-05-17 06:08:08 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ECM
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by tommyruff
Can anybody supply a link please
Greypages has been nobbled.
I have a database circa November 2005. 477 meg for the CSV file. I
downloaded it a year ago from Mininova or similar. Torrent might
still be around somewhere. Or if you email me, I might post it
online and send you a link (not going to post it here though). Or
tell me what you want to look up and I will give you the results.
Could you let us know a little more detail on the db or torrent Please?
http://www.mininova.org/tor/589402
There's also an update thats dropped off now.
Is/was the update more recent phone numbers (post November 2005)
Nope.
Post by Richard Kelly
or just fixes for the errors?
A big chunk of business numbers got lost from the original.
Thats 34M, the original is 180M.
Richard Kelly
2007-05-17 12:57:38 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ECM
Post by Richard Kelly
or just fixes for the errors?
A big chunk of business numbers got lost from the original.
Thats 34M, the original is 180M.
Do you or anybody else have the patch and could send it to me or upload it
somewhere for me to download?
Rod Speed
2007-05-17 18:33:38 UTC
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Rod Speed
Post by Richard Kelly
Post by Rod Speed
Post by ECM
Post by Richard Kelly
or just fixes for the errors?
A big chunk of business numbers got lost from the original.
Thats 34M, the original is 180M.
Do you or anybody else have the patch and could send it to me
Yes, but its a bit large for that.
Yes, I'll email the link once its up.
Richard Kelly
Thanks.
Jerry Kraus
2007-05-23 14:22:32 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Aren't reverse number services illegal?
only accordning to helstra
Even telstra doesnt claim that, they just object to the purported
copyright infringement involved in typing up their phone books.
Post by atec 77
Post by jherth
Post by Peelah Ben Arhna
Peter Dingleberry said...