Dell lappy hard drive password
atec
2004-05-10 05:20:12 UTC
apart from stripping the machine and wiping the bios is there another
way of recovering or replacing the bios driven hard drive password ,
owner made a very bad oops.
If not then has anyone pulled the bios battery and know where it is on
a Latitude ?
Neil Green
2004-05-10 07:39:56 UTC
Post by atec
apart from stripping the machine and wiping the bios is there another
way of recovering or replacing the bios driven hard drive password ,
owner made a very bad oops.
If not then has anyone pulled the bios battery and know where it is on
a Latitude ?
You can try this utility to recover the CMOS password.
I've used it successfully but each case is different.
If it breaks your machine don't blame me or the author.
Get it here: http://www.pchardware.ro/Download/download.php?id=320
Neil
atec
Neil
atec
2004-05-10 08:38:21 UTC
wont work :_(
I guess its pull the battery.
machine boots direct to the hard drive password , I don't have the bios
/hard drive pass sp Ill have to de battery and wipe . sigh....
Post by atec
thanks :_)
Neil
Uncle Bully
2004-05-10 08:40:51 UTC
Post by atec
wont work :_(
I guess its pull the battery.
machine boots direct to the hard drive password , I don't have the bios
/hard drive pass sp Ill have to de battery and wipe . sigh....
Don't quote me, but the Hard Drive password and the BIOS password are two
seperate things. BIOS can be reset by pulling the battery, the HDD password
is encoded into the Hardrive (somehow?) and can't be reset (without
manufacturer help)
izzgood
2004-05-10 09:30:18 UTC
Post by Neil Green
Post by atec
apart from stripping the machine and wiping the bios is there another
way of recovering or replacing the bios driven hard drive password ,
owner made a very bad oops.
If not then has anyone pulled the bios battery and know where it is on
a Latitude ?
You can try this utility to recover the CMOS password.
I've used it successfully but each case is different.
If it breaks your machine don't blame me or the author.
Get it here: http://www.pchardware.ro/Download/download.php?id=320
Neil
I'm not sure about Dell's but I know with HP's and IBM's that pulling
the CMOS battery will NOT remove the password which is actually NOT
stored in the BIOS. IBM notebook hdd's with a hdd password may actually
lock up completely if you attempt it.
http://www.pwcrack.com/bios.shtml offer a password recovery service
atec
Rod Speed
2004-05-11 04:32:41 UTC
Post by atec
its a turn on or off option in the bios . but the password on that
"section" of the bios is blocked , so pulling the battery should work
Unlikely. If its the ATA hard drive password, its stored in the hard
drive and even moving that to another laptop or PC wont affect it.

There are quite separate bios and hard drive passwords.
Post by atec
atec
Rod Speed
2004-05-11 08:48:06 UTC
Post by atec
it a fact I was right , battery removal fixed it .
Then it didnt have the hard drive password
set at all, just the bios password.
Post by atec
Post by atec
atec
Uncle Bully
2004-05-11 09:05:18 UTC
Post by atec
well you proved it , your know now shiite from clay .
How is a hard drive password retained when you remove the hard drive and put
it in a new machine?
Hard drive passwords are not stored in the Bios.
atec
2004-05-11 09:23:01 UTC
the bios was protected and access to the hard drive pass was protected
to the bios , pulled the battery , then got access to the hard drive and
bios , ran a cracker from a boot floppy and stripped the pass , all done
, Im happy. the client is happy and very much happier ( and poorer)
Ive ordered a converter so if it happens again Ill drop the drive into
an nt machine and should be able to circumvent things much more quickly
izzgood
2004-05-12 09:13:23 UTC
Post by Uncle Bully
Post by atec
well you proved it , your know now shiite from clay .
How is a hard drive password retained when you remove the hard drive and put
it in a new machine?
Hard drive passwords are not stored in the Bios.
The passwords in some HP's and most IBM laptops are stored in a special
security chip on the mb. As i said.. i don't know about the Dells but i
was offering a warning nothing more. If you put a HDD password in the
hard drive ALSO has a separate security chip with the password so moving
it to another machine won't help.. it will lock the HDD. Similarly
changing the password setting on the mb chip by whatever nefarious means
used will mean the HDD password will no longer match the original and
will cause it to lock as well.

I'm happy for atec that he didn't have to jump through these hoops with
the Dell machine
izzgood
2004-05-12 13:54:38 UTC
Post by izzgood
If you put a HDD password in the
hard drive ALSO has a separate security chip with the password so moving
it to another machine won't help.. it will lock the HDD. Similarly
changing the password setting on the mb chip by whatever nefarious means
used will mean the HDD password will no longer match the original and
will cause it to lock as well.
Which incidentally is pretty much exactly what you might want if
security was a real issue. What use would a hard drive password be if
you could simply put it on another machine and read it directly. The
point with these security chips is that if the password entered at power
up doesn't match with the password in the chip then the drive locks and
cannot be read at all. There is NO WAY then that it is possible to
'strip the password' from the hard disk contents even if that were where
it were stored. More to the point is that there is no way anyone can
access confidential information through the simple expedient of pulling
a cmos battery or swapping out drives. The security chip needs to be
replaced or the original password read from the m/b chip if you know how .

I used to recommend that IBM owners NOT use their power on password and
HDD password options because a forgotten or lost password is not
covered by warranty and IBM will charge for a new motherboard, aren't
they nice!. That was until my teacher partner brought home her Thinkpad
with a power on password that a prankster at school had placed on her
machine. If only pulling a cmos battery was all that was required.

Nonetheless as far as security options go, if you're going to have them
they might as well be ones that work. Its interesting to note that the
Dell's security is so easily bypassed.
Rod Speed
atec
2004-05-11 23:17:15 UTC
Post by Rod Speed
Not a fucking clue, as always.
agreed you don't
now tell me again how clever you are at differentiating shite from clay
. one makes your finger smell more.
Rod Speed
2004-05-13 01:33:14 UTC
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
atec <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> desperately
attempted to bullshit its way out of its predicament in
message news:***@hotmail.com...
and fooled absolutely no one at all. As always.
atec
2004-05-13 04:29:13 UTC
ah ok . the bot ...
Rod Speed
2004-05-14 00:43:48 UTC
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
atec <***@hotmail.com> desperately